Monday, January 10, 2011

Life's only as exciting as we make it to be.

Paediatrics is exciting, even when Im posted out of London to Queen's Hospital in Romford and even though I havent actually really started (today was my 1st day and all we did was to roam around getting access cards settled & such). Its got me excited that there is now yet another specialty whereby one can still be a generalist.

After year 3's rotation rotation through medicine and surgery, I was beginning to think that other than Geriatrics (not exactly my cup of tea), EMed (very exciting, but also very exhausting. Potentially unsustainable as a career in the long term.) and Critical Care/ ICU (Ditto as EMed), we have to be tied down to a subspecialty. But the Piscean in me really wanted more freedom to do something different everyday. Then, year 4 came by and let me discover O&G and Paeds. O&G was an amazing experience, cos for the first time I really wanted to be a doctor- like a practising one. I have loved medicine the day I started, but I was ambivalent about being a doctor- I am happy to give up being a doctor to maybe pursue an academic path in the medical field (like to be a student for life) or maybe for my family if necessary. But now, i really do want to practice. It might also be due to the fact that these specialties generally have patients who are so motivated, which does add on to the feel- good factor of being a doctor.
I shall sit tight and see what Paeds and Queen's have to offer, Im hopeful and excited (:

-
Aside from starting on a very exciting posting, I have got real exciting plans lined up-
1. Billy Elliot musical finally!
2. Weekend trip to Faro, Portugal over CNY weekend with 2 really good mates of mine.
3. 10 day trip to Rome, Naples, Croatia & Macedonia

And Im planning ...
4. Trip to Morocco with some of the medics
5. Crossing my fingers and hoping that I can get a table at THE FAT DUCK in march (Pray for me!)

-
Finally, I really really want to catch this real bad:
The King's Speech


Looks like a very powerful movie!
Afterall, how can Colin Firth produce bad movies eh?

No comments: