Saturday, January 08, 2011

Im off to Italy and Croatia ... in April!

Pathology week is over and Im off to Romford for my DGH posting next week. Excited or not I cannot decide. Excited because I do hope that I will like paeds very much, and not very excited because it is winter and battling (1) London transport in (2) the cold is very unpleasant.

I have pretty much spent the past week or so scouring the internet for details to plan my 10-day trip in April to Italy and Croatia. After much deliberation and advice from friends who have been to these places, Ive decided to just stay in Rome and Naples/ Pompeii for about 5days, and the other 5 in Dubrovnik, Croatia. From Dubrovnik, I might take a day trip to Macedonia (or maybe stay there for 1 night) and to Split or other neighbouring cities.

As it seems like an almost impossible task from Italy to Croatia by land/ sea (either wayyy too many train changes or too pricey OR the ferry from south Italy for Croatia leaves on funny days), I might just splurge a little and take a flight with croatian airlines to save me some time and hassle.
(It takes at least 13h on train from Rome to Zagreb, Croatia with a couple of changes in between and from Zagreb, I would still need to take an overnight train to Dubrovnik that would make it another 10h. 1 whole day of travelling ... not appealing.
Ferries from Bari, Italy to Dubrovnik/ Split doesnt leave very frequently, about 2x per week. This would either shorten the Italy leg of my trip significantly or the Croatia part, neither of which I am keen to give up.
Flights are short, about 1-2h excluding all the airport transfer, check-in time etc but quite pricey- Best 1 way tickets with Croatian Air is about 140euros.)


I am really looking forward to the beautiful beaches (and sun!) in Croatia and chilling out. I only wished that there was a younger person (Im heading down there with my Mum and Aunt, and I dont know many people who are very keen on travelling with me if they know that there are 长辈s around) who could go Croatia with me just so I could do all the extreme sports there. Neverthelss, I do think I would be a very nice chillaxing trip even if I didnt have the chance to do so anyway.

I have also applied for my elective in India and Im going to plan my SSC back home in Singapore as well.
And its probably, just about right time to do something about my Easter trip to Morocco!

Life's only just as exciting as you make it out to be yeah? (:

No comments: