Tuesday, September 02, 2008

And I like daydreaming.

After being inspired by Limin and PKK (and also, by the knowledge that next summer holidays would be my last), I have been googling up on medical volunteer projects which I can be involved in for the nxt summer.

My mum's paranoid about me going to africa and contracting AIDs (I'm a failure for not being able to raise awareness about this in my very own home). So, I have kinda narrowed down to Nepal, India, Sri Lanka, Belize, Ghana (im trying my luck with mum) or China.
Plane tickets are ex (close to S$2k for a multi-stop flight from London to Chennai (India) to Singapore) and medical elective course fees (1 mth) are about US $2.5k.
The course in Nepal is cheaper at about 540euros, but plane tickets are insanely expensive from London to Kathmandu. But its appealing cos I was also thinking of travelling to Tibet afterwards. Either way, I hope this actually works out.

Check them out: (They have non- med electives too!)
Projects Abroad: http://www.projects-abroad.org/_downloads/more-info/get-a-brochure/usa-brochure-2008.pdf
Nepal: http://www.volunteers.org.np/volunteering/index.php?page=vt1
Belize: http://www.hillsidebelize.net/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And if planning for summer seems a little too far away, I have been busy trying to make my life more interesting to battle the reluctance of returning to London. It's actually quite exciting daydreaming about all the things you can do.

1. 4th/ 5th Oct- Musical & Thorpe Park outing with SO members
(That is if Zhien actually comes down from manchester.)
Join us if you like rollercoasters: http://www.thorpepark.com/
Plus, there is a 2nd free day if you book before 5th Oct.

2. 14th- 16th Nov- BBC Good Food Show in London!
http://www.bbcgoodfoodshow.com/landing/holding.html
This is absolutely awesome. If you are singaporean, you so have to go for any one of these (London, Glasgow, Birmingham- take your pick). Its loads of good, free/ cheap food and wine. Esp on the last day in the last few hours where the stall holders are trying to clear their stock, you can get real steals.

Im actually thinking of going for the London one and giving the Birmingham one a miss this year (although Gordon Ramsay would be there), and using the weekend to travel up to York to see dj and getting her to bring me to the gorgeous meadows. Or maybe get her to travel up to Lake district with me, or maybe visit Oxbridge. But of course, all these depends on whether I am suffocating under my workload yet.

3. Sweden/ Finland
In the process of planning a trip up to Helsinki to visit Ernie during intermodule break (5th Nov- 9th Nov). Currently, tickets to Stockholm are real cheap at about 30pounds or so on Ryanair, and about US $180 to Helsinki.
Tell me if you are interested in the trip, or visiting Ernie <3 style="font-weight: bold;">4.

4. Carnival of Venice 2009
http://www.rialtohotel.com/en/venice_carnival_2009_03en6563en.htm
February 13 2009 to February 24 2009
"For two weeks St. Mark's Square, the theaters, streets, squares and public buildings become the protagonists of numerous initiatives and shows: actors, acrobats, dancers and musicians bring a celebration atmosphere to the city for a few days, which is similar to that of the XVII century."
Missed this last year, and I really dont want to miss it this year. (I have a feeling that I wont be able to catch it in the coming years if i dont catch it this year.) And ryanair offers flights to Venice, how awesome is that!
Plus this year, it falls during intermodule week too.


Plus, I would be home for xmas. And my family is planning a holiday to China.
Now now, my coming academic year aint so bad after all.
But i really do wonder how many of this would actually come true hur. But at least daydreaming makes me happy. Hah.

No comments: