Friday, February 11, 2011

CNY 2011- London & Faro

I know I havent been updating for quite some time but thats because I have been so ridiculously busy with so many things--- a weekend trip to Faro, Portugal, a couple of CNY dinners, my dearest flatmate's bday (I baked a Victorian butter cake- My 1st ever baking experience other than the other time I made bread pudding which really doesnt count as baking.) and so many other small random stuff that seems to make my days pass in a daze. Its definitely been one of the best chinese new year away from home.

Faro '2011:
Pictures of Faro would be up once I order my all-in-one memory card reader and get the photos into my Mac.

It was a lovely trip- perfect for a weekend getaway cos there was nothing to do there except for beach activities. Moreover since it was off- season (winter), it wasnt crowded. Although we couldnt swim (wayyy too cold), there was still some winter sun and I was thankful enough that we were able to stroll about in our shorts and sleeveless tops. We were definitely inviting stares at our inappropriate attire (most people were in sweaters and long pants which to me was pretty absurd cos the temperature was possibly about 18degrees or so.).

On our first morning there, we took a long 2h stroll from our hotel (Hotel Monaco- Highly recommended. Clean, friendly staff, Awesome room at Hostel Prices!) to Faro's only beach. Because Im a traveller who values the experience more than visiting 1000 churches or tourist attraction, the walk there was one of the highlights of my weekend trip. The weather was beautiful (sunny and warm but not too hot), and there was hardly any traffic so we could easily walk along the expressways and sometimes in the middle of smaller roads. We walked past the airport (our hotel was about 5mins drive away from the airport), across the Faro's massive nature reserve at low tide (Which was alot of marshland, but it was still a pretty sight in its special way.), stopped by a fruit stall set up along the roads, chatted to the very friendly fruitseller & had the best and biggest oranges I have ever tasted (8 for 1euro!), took many many photos along the way and finally made it to the beach. The waters were too cold to swim in, but since it wasnt peak season, there were only a couple of locals sitting about and enjoying family time, we had a really nice walk down, picking up seashells and enjoying the waves.

Of course, a trip is never perfect without good food (and desserts). We found a lovely bakery near our hotel which served awesome sponge cakes and coffee, plus at a cheap price (we paid about 8euros for 8 plates of cakes and 3 cups of coffee). The custard portuguese tarts were kinda disappointing though- Im not sure if its cos we overdosed on custard (they somehow had to add custard to everything, and a generous serving of it) or that Im expecting something like Magdeleine's egg tarts in Singapore or Macau's take on portuguese egg tarts.

Another thing which I thought the Faro-ians (or maybe its a Portuguese thing, Im not too sure) did beautifully was homemade potato crisps. The chefs at the local restaurants would hand sliced potatoes and then fry it before serving it immediately (literally piping hot!). I love those which are crispy at the sides and yet soft in the middle- Its like getting the best of both kinds of Mac's fries. If you like your fries/ chips/ crisps crispy, the smaller slices were also fantastic.

Finally, the highlight of my trip was the discovery of WHITE SANGRIA (served by a very cute Portuguese bespectacled bartender). I had a bit too much that night (at least a pitcher), so much so I was asking for more (very unlike my usual behaviour I must clarify), asking D & K ridiculous questions (I dont remember what exactly though) and doing alot of pointing & big actions according to K. Whoops. But definitely worth it. I cant rem what exactly is the name of the bar but its one of the 2 bars that people like to go for pre-drinks. Will definitely share if any of my travel buddies can recall.

All in all, the people there were also really lovely, all very friendly and helpful. Friendly locals definitely rank as one of the most important factors when Im judging a place and Faro would get loads of stars for that. The food there was good and cheap and so were the drinks. So thats adds more stars to it. Plus, we paid 20euros per night for a very lovely hotel!
But that being said, 1 weekend is definitely all that is needed for Faro (:

No comments: