Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Alas, Internet!

Finally after 5 days I have access to some internet in my hall, though it is incredibly slow. And i have to resort to hiding in the cold TV room without any heater to get the minimal wireless meant for the hotel guests. Its scary (and quite sad) how our lives, esp when studying overseas, revolves around so much around the net. It can pretty much determine our moods and all (esp so for my roomie who gets really depressed with the lack of connection, I just complain about not being able to use wiki 'cos its hard to keep flipping to the appendix and back when you are doing pharmco).

Anyway, I shall post my pictures of my dismal CNY when the internet connection is better. I didnt get to do much, but did go down to North Cloisters where HC Alumni UK and Vines (Victorians In Europe) organised a really mini CNY street. It was a good chance for me to see Paul and Mark, both of whom (Im very ashamed to say) I havent met at all since the start of the academic year :x Esp so for Paul, who stays probably less than 10mins walk away. Either way, its always good to see old friends.

I hosted a dinner with Rae on Sat evening, and to be quite honest, I wasnt enjoying myself too much cos I was too shagged from trying to:
1. Shop for indgredients, lug them back from Chinatown and Sain's/ Tesco's
2. Check every single Tesco's/ Sain's (from Leicester to Euston) for bowls and spoons and forks and plates- Best thing was that none of them carry plastic bowls? Or plastic utensils that did not come in sets with knives. (All while lugging the stuff from Chinatown)
3. Cook for 25 people (who rsvp-ed) and possibly more. Although, to be fair, it was mainly 1 pot of chicken soup, vegetarian soup and seafood soup. And desserts (tangyuan).
4. Prepare the stuffs for the steamboat.
5. Clean up.
And that pretty much serve me right for being too ambitious for having such a large dinner.
Plus, me, being the social retard i am, find it very hard to integrate and interact with mutually exclusive groups of friends. Someone who is good at this, I would very much appreciate advice on dealing with situations like this? (:

Nothing special happened on CNY Eve, cos i was aching all over from the dinner the night before. So i was sleeping in late and intermittently taking naps.
Calling home in the evening got me all homesick and teary- eyed. But such is life, and Im glad that my mum would be able to come over next year when my brother enters army. What would be perfect would be him coming over to London, or even better, nab that SAF scholarship and come immediately (quite as likely as me flying home now for CNY). At midnight, my roomie and I were just playing random CNY songs from youtube, and I was showing her some of the MVs which the Mediacorp artistes did and i never realised it was so cringe-y. Some of it even had Singlish raps in it.

CNY day itself marked the start of a new module for me (endocrinology). And it was quite a pleasant start 'cos this module's coordinator is quite enthusiastic, organised and a relatively good lecturer. The notes are decent, and there's only 1 recommended text (saves cost!). I think i got abit too excited and kiasu, and bought the book on first day of CNY. Im crossing my fingers for good luck the whole year round still.

There's going to be a CNY market and celebrations and fireworks in Trafalgar Square and Chinatown this Sunday. And maybe, if im feeling it, I might just pop down to enjoy the festivities that Im missing so much now!

Happy "Niu" Year everyone! Spring does look like its coming, and thats really something to rejoice about ((:

No comments: