Saturday, March 12, 2011

1st Morning of PSC Public Policy London

At St James Sofitel London now with 3 of my best mates in UK as part of the Singapore PSC Public Policy challenge, which is an initiative to get some of us from the younger generation thinking about policy making. Cynics see it as Singapore's ploy to recruit/ tie down more of us to the government whilst optimists see it as their way to attract more talents into the public service to do good for the country.

Was such a pity I had to come late for the event last night cos I was tied down in clinic with my Prof, but they did serve a good dinner (complete with macarons even though Im not a massive fan but I can imagine girls back home all going nuts) and that was definitely a good way to give any Singaporean a good impression.

It was followed by a talk on how to craft a public policy challenge and what really struck me was how much drafting a public policy mimics medical practice (or vice versa). It appears that the principles behind coming up with a good public policy is what should be guiding us young medics to become a good clinician. Shant talk too much about the concepts here. Propaganda or not, but I was impressed by how well Singapore as done thus far (based on the accounts of the speaker). But as most would know, I am ridiculously patriotic.

And on a more bimbotic level, the room is absolutely beautiful here at St James' Sofitel. The rooms are vintage meet modern, and I am truly inspired to model my home in future after this.

7am, bright start to the day, Im ready to get my case scenario. Till then, adieu! xxx

1 comment:

kaisiang said...

hello peishan, i didn't know you were involved in the challenge, awesome! i hear you get free 5-star sofitel accommodation :) hope you won!