Sunday, October 04, 2009

On Call on Sat is afterall a good thing!

I had one of the most productive days ever yesterday.

Managed to successfully take bloods from a terrified kid. Which was really a cool feeling cos he thought I was pro. Hah. Even though i was probably trembling more than him. But I had to keep that confident smile on, and assure him things were going fantastic. And thank God, I got the vein the first time. Nothing beats the feeling of shiokness as you see the flash-back (blood flowing back into the needle for the first time before you insert the tube), when you got the vein.
Really, now i see the wonders of good communication. I mean last time I used to think that PDS was such a waste of time and they are teaching the plain obvious. But now Im starting to appreciate the little tips and all which I picked up from there. For one, it makes pts less angry when you mess smthing up, which is smthing med students are bound to make.

I failed my first cannula but the pt was chilled with it thankfully. The FY1 on duty failed on his first try too :P
But after that, i managed to cannulate this anesthetized chap. And it felt good. And honestly, I think I was real lucky to have met cool nurses and anesthetists and surgeons who were willing to show me things.
Watched a hip replacement op after that, and now i do have second thoughts abt ortho. And i see why my neighbour was telling me to run 5miles a day at the very least and to work with weights. Tough stuff.

I then popped by the next theatre to watch my consultant do a complicated colectomy on this lady with metastasis in her sigmoid colon, following spread from the left ovary. They had to create a permanent end ileostomy after that. I was amazed totally by the concentration levels and dexterity of my reg and consultant. I think as Medstudents, I really do have to sit back and think when I complain about how tough my timetable is, 'cos i think our bosses have it worse. Not only do they not complain one bit about it, they still have to juggle teaching responsibilities on top of it.

Managed to get off 2h from work, which was cool. Went down to oxford street hoping to do some shopping only to realise that I am in London and shops are off at 5pm. So headed down to my snr's MAF party after that. Came back shattered, showered, slumped onto bed and slept without an alarm clock. Shiokness.

Going shopping in a bit!

1 comment:

chEezy~ said...

we watched a total knee replacement surgery on vid during one of design module lectures and we thought it was totally brutal. hurhurhur. x.x im so glad im not in med. ahha...