Sunday, March 18, 2012

Happy Birthday to Me!

Happy Birthday to Me!
With the sun streaming in and Yes 933 playing in the background and sipping instant kopi (from home), I really cant ask for anything more can I? (:

Birthday celebrations had actually started a couple of days back, when my mum was still in town for a couple of days. We had a beautiful meal at one o one, which really is one of the best seafood restaurants in London (the scallop and pork starter is one not to be missed), and I was surprised with a little velvet cupcake from Lola's! My really sweet mum insisted I needed to have a cake just so I could blow out candles and make wishes.

Except for the slightly gloomy and wet London weather, I have a beautiful time yesterday as well. And I must say, the revelry in the streets thanks to St Pat's Day sure did make everything more fun and celebratory.
The boys brought me to a pub somewhere in Chancery Lane which really was no better way to start St Pat's Day and also we made our point that there's no time too early to start on a pint :P We had a sinful pub lunch at this nice quaint pub, Cittie of York, which serves a large selection of Sam Smith beers and ciders amongst many other drinks. Its a pretty large pub means that it makes a perfect friday night gathering spot after work, esp if you dont have any bookings and they have little booths that sits around 4 if you value some privacy for small group gatherings.

We then migrated to Prufrock, a coffee place along Leather Lane, who stars an award winning barista and coffee from square mile roast. They do no-frills, well-done coffee and you have a choice of filter coffee, espresso or espresso with milk. I had the espresso with milk and I must say its really one of the best coffee I have ever had- the coffee was smooth and slightly on the bitter side, without the acidic after taste. And it was like caffeine +++ and really did set my heart racing for a while. I would have liked my coffee slightly warmer though, but I think its just my very own personal preference (: The shop also had a really nice, hippie and friendly vibe to it, everyone there was incredibly friendly and you are allowed to sit there for as long as you like. And we did- sitting there discussing ethics and life and silly things. Also, for people who needs sweets to go along with their coffee, they also had a small selection of pastries from cheese cakes to brownies that would complement your coffee very nicely I believe.

Dinner was impromptu, but nice. Bring on spontaneity anytime!
I ended up letting K bring me out to a Japanese restaurant, Kyashii, at Upper St Martin's Lane near Leicester Square. The ambience there was really nice with plush white seats and large glass windows on the lounge level whilst the restaurant areas downstairs and upstairs had large long polished black corridors, with random private rooms and dining areas branching out from it. It kinda reminded me of the W hotel in Leicester Square. This place not only looks good but tastes good too. The sushis were well done- exquisitely made with a relatively generous portion and the Udon hotpot sure satisfied my cravings (: Moreover, with toptable you may just be able to snag yourself a good deal! (We had 40% off our bill which was great!)

Time for a shower, and to enjoy the sun!

No comments: