Friday, May 06, 2011

My First Ever Vote for Singapore

Once again, I have to repeat myself for the 1000th time that I LOVE SPRING!
Even if it can get wayyy to hot in the very crowded non- airconditioned rush hour tube or super crammed & slow royal free lifts.

The days are long and people are just generally nicer and happier! Its less cold and most importantly, THERE IS SUN! I know Im becoming a Londoner when I obsess so much about the weather.

And today's a very important day, cos i voted in the Singapore General Elections. Im really thankful that I'm in London 'cos its not ridiculously difficult for me to get to the polling station (Singapore High Commission near Hyde Park Corner). Everyone tells me that my vote doesnt matter cos they aint going to count the votes of overseas Singaporeans unless there is an ambiguous win. But you never know right? I have to say I'm not really a fan of either of my candidates and with almost every seat ('cept for the unshakeable MM Lee) being contested, people will definitely forget my small constituency. It's a pity, 'cos potentially someone so much more capable could be our voice in parliament. Being an MP is not only about upgrading ... and erms, payouts? Its disappointing how neither of my candidates (Sitoh and Lina Chiam) addressed bigger issues that many other politicians have been discussing. The opposition party (Lina Chiam) appears to me to be merely trying to stir up angst amongst the residents against the government who has pretty much been neglecting our area ('cos its an opposition area) and Sitoh seems to be only dangling upgrading incentives (and he only had 1 rally). And sadly, neither are very engaging, sincere- sounding, charismastic or grammatically- correct speakers. Well maybe there are on the grounds, but it doesn't appear so on the online videos that I have to rely on.
Potong Pasir aside, I'm definitely way more concerned about the bigger guns- Aljunied especially. And I have no qualms that PAP would once again win in Marine Parade, despite Tin Pei Ling's "spectacular" performances and slips of tongue once and once again, but I'm excited to see how the results would be like. Yes, Nicole Seah is good, but can she compare to Goh Chok Tong? Indeed, she is more impressive than TPL but we cannot forget that there are very worthy candidates in PAP as well like Tan Chuan Jin, and can she compare to them? Much less GCT. Nicole Seah is one of the opposition party's stronger candidates and we are comparing her to PAP's weakest link. Is the opposition's weakest link even weaker than TPL? But as GCT said, (sadly) with GRCs you've gotta vote for the team and not only for individuals. TPL ain't ready, but if she doesnt perform (and in fact flop completely), I'm sure PAP would (hopefully) have a change of strategy next coming elections and understand that every single MP represents the voice of the people and fielding someone so unprepared can be a costly mistake.

But this election is exciting, and in less than 24h, we shall see what our new parliament will be like. Let's cross our fingers and hope that we have worthy MPs.

No comments: