Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Istanbul, Turkey Day 1-2

I spent my first 2 days in Istanbul sleeping in the hostel.
Which works well for me 'cos I really am completely shattered from all the travelling in the past weeks. I basically spent the day munching on cookies and bananas and finishing Michael Crichton's State of Play, which presents a really interesting perspective on the environmentalism and global warming.

Although my impression of Istanbul is based merely on a 1h drive from the airport (and the limited stroll around my hostel) but I still find this place really interesting- it seems to be a city of contrast. Western and Islamic culture meets and also, it seems to be conservative (almost communist like with the Turkish flag everywhere) and yet, it embraces democracy and I believe its one of the first cities in the world where women are allowed to vote.
The food too is interesting (although I havent really had it considering I have barely stepped out of the hostel) cos its like pitta (western bread) plus meat (grilled and roasted, which is pretty asian to me).

Im really looking forward to touring the city tmr. Hopefully the weather would be good, food good and people friendly!

Good night world (:

No comments: